Wednesday, September 19, 2007

a slice or two of americana

I spent some time in some very cool towns on my latest trip through Michigan and Ohio. Last Friday, I woke up on the shores of Lake Michigan, and drove across the state to the shore of Lake Huron. Both the lakes, for lack of a better term, were "great". They were having the annual Paul Bunyan Festival in Oscoda, MI. It was quite the event! I had a great time playing at Sweet Grass Cafe, a very charming, intimate venue. Great, freindly audience.
Saturday, I headed down to Amish Country, Ohio (Charm, OH to be exact). It really is like a trip back in time. Even those who are not amish are living a simpler life out there. I spent the night in a very quiet, peaceful cabin, not another human within shouting distance. (although my verizon cell phone still had full bars!) I stayed up late and ate 3 pieces of delicious homemade cheesecake.
Sunday, I got to watch the 1st half of the Browns dismantling the Bengals secondary at a small pub in Coshocton, OH. I had a wonderful gig at an historic museum (I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use "an" instead of "a" before h-words, that was masterful grammar right there!!), the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum. It was there first time to host a listening room concert, and they got a very nice crowd, and it was a great way to end the trip.

No comments: