Monday, September 10, 2007

On the road again/review from Sing Out!

I am back out on the road, for a week or so of shows in Michigan and Ohio. I enjoyed my relaxing summer in Alabama, but it's always fun to be back out on the road, seeing old friends and making new ones...I started out the tour in Paw Paw, MI, at a new series held at a very cool old theater. Andy Baker, who has run a house concert series for a couple years and is a fine singer/songwriter himself hosted the show. Not that any many of you who read my blog happen to live in Paw Paw, but if by chance you're neaby, my friend Jim Bizer (www.jimbizer.com) will be playing next months show.
Yesterday, I did a house concert in Clarkston, hosted by my good friends John and Shelley. (really Emily and Riley are in charge there). They are good people who have been very supportive of me for many years, ever since I met Shelley at the old Java House venue in Conyers, GA. I know some of you remember the Java House.

Just before I left for this tour, I got a nice surprise, a great review of $12.99 in the new issue of SingOut Magazine. Here's what they had to say;
Dave Potts is a seasoned artist who has finely honed his craft. And you’ll find that this CD proves that well. Beautifully executed from start to finish, Potts doesn’t throw away one song, word or note in this well-produced and conceived portraiture of his art and performance. Rob Seals, who produced, engineered and mixed $12.99 has put together a tasty mix of backing instruments that allow Potts’ easy-to-listen to and warm voice to take center stage, along with his writing. The melodies and arrangements move the record along in an enjoyable journey that ends much too fast each time it’s over.
Potts has won many songwriting honors over the years, and there are many winners on $12.99 as well. Dave’s writing reflects his understanding of what some of us are too busy to notice, and adeptly helps us to remember and value those same things. Songs like ‘In My Backyard’ probably sums up Dave’s current life – his need to tour, but knowing the value of what’s really grounding him in a way that explains the dichotomy that many musicians face. ‘Old Chevelle’ is a languid piece that features seductive guitar, harmony and lyrics and harkens back to the innocence of youth and love. Perhaps one of the most moving melodies and lyrics that hit home on a variety of levels is ‘The Garden We’re Growing’. Here we find a man complaining about the mundane responsibilities and annoyances of life while he is brought up short as he puts into perspective, “Right now, somewhere across the sea, a soldier that I’ve never met fights for me. And his wife and his kids pray that he’s doing fine, though they have no way of knowing. And me, I’m just yelling at my son to slow down, as he runs through the garden we’re growing.” As Dave says in his title cut, “It’s amazing the things you can buy for $12.99”. This record is no exception.

No comments: