Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Kerrville New Folk

It's becoming nearly an annual ritual for me to finish 7th (or so) in the Kerrville New Folk Contest. It was a very wet weekend down in Texas, but I had a great time catching up with some old friends, and hearing some great new artists. As you may know, I usually camp in the summer heat, but I splurged for a room at the Motel 6 this year. By far the best money I ever spent, plus, I got to watch City Slickers in spanish, which was at least as funny as the english version.
The winners of this years New Folk Contest were Danny Schmidt, Storyhill, Carla Gover, David Llewellyn, John Wort Hannam and Anthony da Costa. They were all great, and well deserved winners. 3 of them were actually winner on my secret ballot as well. I won't say which 3, but I will tell you my 3 favorites who didn't win, but should have in my estimation; Pat Wictor, Jan Smith and Edie Carey.

I would say there is a good chance this will by last time in the Kerrville New Folk Contest, though I certainly am not certain about that. Consider this a Roger Clemens-like retirement from New Folk. To be chosen as a finalist 4 years has been quite an honor, and I'm sure I'll be back at Kerrville again, even if not as a New Folk Performer.

It is great to be back home for awhile. This officially begins my summer season of relaxation, and performing close to home. I am excited to be able to spend most of the next 3 months at home with my family. They are so wonderful for putting up with my crazy travelling schedule, and still get excited when I come home!

No comments: